The Queen in Me
Featuring music from La Bohème, Lucia di Lammermoor, Macbeth, Madama Butterfly, Manon Lescaut, Rigoletto, Salome, and The Magic Flute.
Approaching the climax of one of the world’s most famous arias, the Queen of the Night abruptly breaks the fourth wall to speak out against the monochromatic strictures that keep opera rooted in the standards of the past. Combining comedy, drama, and plenty of opera, this vibrant show by interdisciplinary artist Teiya Kasahara 笠原貞野(they/them) gives a voice to the Queen of the Night, who explores how the rigid conventions of race, gender, and sexuality in opera prevent one of the greatest art forms from reaching its kaleidoscopic potential.
The Queen In Me is a co-production by Canadian Opera Company, Amplified Opera, Nightwood Theatre, and Theatre Gargantua
Creator & Performer: Teiya Kasahara 笠原貞野
Co-Directors: Andrea Donaldson & Aria Umezawa
Set & Costume Designer: Joanna Yu
Lighting Designer: Andre du Toit
Projection Designer: Laura Warren
This exciting new work began its journey with Theatre Gargantua in 2017 as a part of our SideStream Cycles. We are so proud of Teiya and this show!
- 2016 – Began development in the Buddies in Bad Times Young Creators Unit
- 2018 – Excerpt presented as part of the SummerWorks Open Studios
- 2018 – Excerpt presented in the ROM’s Friday Night Live: Vox event
- 2019 – Pitched at the PuSh Festival’s Industry Series in Vancouver
- 2021 – Spotlight Canada: The Pitch Session (Edinburgh Fringe Festival)
- 2022 – World Premiere at Canadian Opera Company Theatre – June 2-4
- 2022 – Presented at the Belfast International Arts Festival – October 18-19